“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” ~ Winston Churchill
Ok, you know what you want from life. You know what you want to do. It is something that you really love and where you’re good at. Also people need what you would offer. You have made your plans and have set your goals. You invested your time and started taking action. But somehow …, something is still noi working out. Have you been in this situation? I know I certainly have.
In a way this is a followup to my guide on how to be successful in life from last month (if you haven’t read it, do so) and here I want to take a look at what still might hold you back from having the success you want.
Answer the following question for yourself:
The reason I’m not as successful as I might be is ________________.
My Boss, My Family, My Environment, Other People, Competition, Google?
No Money, No Time, No Knowledge, No Drive, No Courage?
This may all be very true, but I’m telling you that this is not the REAL reason.
The Mindset of Successful People
“I’ll do whatever it takes to win games, whether it’s sitting on a bench waving a towel, handing a cup of water to a teammate, or hitting the game-winning shot.” ~ Kobe Bryant
The real cause of why success might not yet have knocked at your door is that you haven’t said to yourself:
“I will do whatever it takes!”
What does that mean? This is a mindset you have to develop. It is the mindset of the winner. The winner figures out what he has to do to get it, and then does that, whatever it takes. (Disclaimer: Now by that I obviously don’t mean that you should do anything unmoral or illegal, right? Ok, I’m just saying…)
A Shift in Thinking
When you say that you’ll do whatever it takes, that NOTHING will get in your way, something changes. It is a shift in thinking.
1. Now it is not so much about how to get there exactly, because that becomes a flexible construct then. You will figure it out and find a way. So the mindset of “I’ll do whatever it takes” gives you more flexibility.
2. The other aspect is that it takes you to the real of absolute certainty that you will succeed. Success is not in question anymore. You will do whatever is needed to make is a success. That’s why it is a very uplifting and motivating state in itself.
3. The next advantage of that kind of thinking is that this mindset also helps you to get more resourceful. It raises your energy level and gets you excited and energetic, because you feel that you will need that energy.
4. When you say to yourself “I’ll do whatever it takes” it opens up all kind of new possibilities: new ideas come, you don’t feel as boxed in anymore as before. Maybe you start looking at areas for help that before just weren’t on your radar screen. This also gives you more freedom. Freedom in thinking and freedom in acting.
5. It also creates the urge to act. You just can’t wait to get going and make the positive changes that came from your new thinking.
Applying the Success Mindset
Basically this mindset is giving you a new way to look at your situation and challenges you in a very positive way to grow. Are there any practical exercises you can take to train your mind for success? I would simply start to internalize the idea that “I will do whatever it takes” and condition myself with this new mindset. Then see where this takes you from there.
Make sure to lay a nice foundation by going to the sweet-spot of success where you match your passion with your skills and what people need. I’m sure it will help you to do what you want to do and get where you want to go.
I'm author of this site and I could coach you to make a giant leap ahead in your personal life and your business. I founded Personal Breakthrough Academy, a powerful personal development video course to create your personal breakthrough. Sign up below to get started: